Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- Blog of Bosh: Edward Lear, View of Deir Kadige, 1867 (1884) bit.ly/Wwzy3K 7 hours ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Friday, 22 July 1864: Being waked by the Portuguese lodger, who comes home at 4 ―― rose a... bit.ly/1lp5nAU 13 hours ago
- Blog of Bosh: Edward Lear, Val Montone, Near Tivoli, 1840 bit.ly/1n9YSWQ 1 day ago
Category Archives: Limerick
A rare example of a coloured Woozlebeasts strip by John Prentiss Benson (11 September 1904). On nonsenselit.org you will find the full run of the newspaper strips, in black and white, as well as the 1905 book published by Moffat, … Continue reading
A quick note on a few studies on the limerick I have read or re-read recently. Scheepers, Christoph, et al. “Listening to Limericks: A Pupillometry Investigation of Perceivers’ Expectancy.” PLoS ONE 8.9 (2013): e74986. The abstract appears to confirm what … Continue reading
From Joan Acocella’s “Slaying Monsters,” in The New Yorker for 2 June 2014, a review of the recently published translation of Beowulf by J.R.R. Tolkien: Tolkien was a serious philologist from the time he was a child. He and his cousin Mary … Continue reading
In February 2011 I posted a review of some Christmas books for 1874, “Nonsense for Big and Little Babies” from Judy. Among the books reviewed was A Choice Collection of Queens and Kings, and other Things by S.A. the Princess Hesse Schwartzbourg, … Continue reading
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 19 May 1877, p. 218.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 12 May 1877, p. 215.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 5 May 1877, p. 202.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 28 April 1877, p. 191.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 31 March 1877, p. 142.