Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- Edward Lear's Diary: Friday, 23 September 1864: We rise at 6.30. We prepare colors, & painting & answer some n... bit.ly/1v378dH 12 hours ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Thursday, 22 September 1864: Rose at 7. (Rain at night) Indigestion. Tarrant sent home th... bit.ly/1sgQHwE 1 day ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Wednesday, 21 September 1864: Fine all day ― Certainly ― 3 more beautiful months never we... bit.ly/1wUH0F6 2 days ago
Tag Archives: Italy
Edward Lear, View of the Roman Campagna and the Alexandrine Aqueduct. Signed with monogram (lower left). Watercolour heightened with white. 17.8 x 38.1cm (7 x 15in). Bonhams.
Edward Lear, Cervera, on the Roman Campagna. Signed with monogram (lower right) and inscribed ‘CAMPAGNA DI ROMA’ (lower left). Pencil and watercolour, heightened with white and gum arabic. 10.1 x 20.3cm (4 x 8in). Bonhams.
Edward Lear, Val Montone, near Tivoli. Inscribed and dated ‘8th May, 1840′ (lower left). Pencil. 8 ½ x 16 ¼ in. (21.6 x 41.3 cm.). Christie’s.
Edward Lear, Near Massa, Capri in the distance. Inscribed and dated ‘Near Massa, 22 August/1838′ (lower left) and with extensive colour notes throughout. Pencil on buff paper. 10 x 14 in. (25.4 x 25.5 cm.) Christie’s.
Edward Lear, View of Florence from Villa Petraja. Signed with monogram and dated ‘EL /1861’ (lower left). Oil on canvas. 18 ½ x 29 ¾ in. (47 x 75.5 cm.) ‘At present I am at work ferociously on the Petraja … Continue reading
Edward Lear, ‘Ceriana’. Inscribed with title and dated ’13 Oct 1870 2PM’ (lower right), with collectors stamp (lower left) pen & ink drawing, unframed. 17.5 x 25.5cm (6 7/8 x 10 1/16in). Bonhams.
Edward Lear, Venice after sunset. Inscribed ‘Venice’ (lower left), inscribed again and dated ‘after sunset15 Nov 1865′ (lower right), signed, inscribed an dated again’ (Edward Lear/Venice/1865) on a fragment in the same frame. Pen, ink and watercolour. 8 x … Continue reading