Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- Edward Lear's Diary: Monday, 25 May 1863: alas for the Demon! Whether these things are gor good or evil, I kno... bit.ly/174OWaT 17 hours ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Sunday, 24 May 1863: Rose at 4. Packed & arranged drawings till 6. Read Mrs. Harvey’s Cru... bit.ly/16ZVgQY 1 day ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Saturday, 23 May 1863: Rose at 4. “Work ― work ― work.” Off before 5. (Hezekiah’s pool ― ... bit.ly/13KJUZS 2 days ago
Tag Archives: Limerick
A bust of Edward Lear was unveiled at the Cavalieri Hotel in Corfu on 24 May. The article also mentions an Edward Lear society I had never heard of before. Here is a picture of the bust by Franco-Hellenic sculptor … Continue reading
Here is a nice adventure of Gustave Verbeek‘s Tiny Tads, from the Boston Sunday Post of 13 July 1913: Peter Maresca’s Sunday Press has published The Upside-Down World of Gustave Verbeek (for which I wrote an article I’ll post here … Continue reading
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 19 May 1877, p. 218.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 12 May 1877, p. 215.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 5 May 1877, p. 202.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 28 April 1877, p. 191.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 31 March 1877, p. 142.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 24 March 1877, p. 130.
George Du Maurier, in Punch, 17 March 1877, p. 110.