Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- Edward Lear's Diary: Wednesday, 21 September 1864: Fine all day ― Certainly ― 3 more beautiful months never we... bit.ly/1wUH0F6 1 day ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Tuesday, 20 September 1864: Fine. Arranged more drawings for mounting ― & then shaved the... bit.ly/XzlWV5 2 days ago
- Edward Lear's Diary: Monday, 19 September 1864: Pleasant fine morning. Walk in Park. Breakfast at 9. At 10.30 ... bit.ly/XsWXTw 2 days ago
Tag Archives: watercolours
Edward Lear, View of the Roman Campagna and the Alexandrine Aqueduct. Signed with monogram (lower left). Watercolour heightened with white. 17.8 x 38.1cm (7 x 15in). Bonhams.
Edward Lear, Cervera, on the Roman Campagna. Signed with monogram (lower right) and inscribed ‘CAMPAGNA DI ROMA’ (lower left). Pencil and watercolour, heightened with white and gum arabic. 10.1 x 20.3cm (4 x 8in). Bonhams.
Edward Lear, Anadoluhisari, Istanbul, on the Bosphorus. Inscribed and dated ‘Bosphorus./1. Sept. 1848′ (lower left) and again in pencil (lower right) and numbered ’17’ (lower right) and further inscribed with colour notes. Pencil, pen and brown ink and brown wash on … Continue reading
Edward Lear, View of Deir Kadige, on the Nile, Egypt. Signed with monogram and dated ‘.1884′ (lower right) and inscribed and dated ‘Deir Kadige. 1867′ (lower right) and numbered and inscribed ’67. Deir Kadige’ (verso). Pencil and watercolour. 3 ¾ x 7 … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Val Montone, near Tivoli. Inscribed and dated ‘8th May, 1840′ (lower left). Pencil. 8 ½ x 16 ¼ in. (21.6 x 41.3 cm.). Christie’s.
Edward Lear, View of Amaxichi and the Fort, Santa Maura; and View of Corfu from the Benitza Road, near Gastouri. The first inscribed ‘Santa Maura’ (lower centre, in the margin), the second inscribed ‘Corfu’ (on a fragment attached to the … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Near Massa, Capri in the distance. Inscribed and dated ‘Near Massa, 22 August/1838′ (lower left) and with extensive colour notes throughout. Pencil on buff paper. 10 x 14 in. (25.4 x 25.5 cm.) Christie’s.