Carroll birthplace put in trust’s care
THE Cheshire birthplace of one of England’s finest authors and academics has been handed over to the protection of the National Trust.
Lewis Carroll was born and raised at Daresbury Parsonage, which lies in a corner of a field two miles outside the village.
The double-fronted building had a lobby, parlour, study, schoolroom and seven upstairs rooms, but was destroyed by fire in 1891. The original foundation footprint and a well, however, are still preserved.
Now the Lewis Carroll Birthplace Trust, which has run the site for 11 years, has gifted it to the charity to ensure its future is secured.
ic CheshireOnline | 11 November 2003
Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
- Son of A Wheelbarrow to Hell nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2017/08/10/son… https://t.co/D4m4wwzOXp 6 days ago
- Edward Lear, Letter to Mrs Ford nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2017/08/09/edw… https://t.co/U5M1sJ4teL 1 week ago
- Edwrd Lear’s Mucous Membrane (Another Unpublished Poem and a ‘Drama’) nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/edw… https://t.co/mBrHKztERA 1 week ago