Literary nonsense of Sukumar Ray once again!
Dungaroo, Flipfloposaurus, Billy-Hawk Calf among other animals paid a peppy visit to a book store here and regaled book lovers!
They are, after all, characters from the nonsensical world created by legendary Bengali writer Sukumar Ray.
The occasion was the launch of ‘Abol Tabol: The Nonsense World of Sukumar Ray’ by Sampurna Chattarji, an English translation of the Bengali original, at the Oxford Bookstore here in association with Penguin Books India.
This was followed by a dramatic rendition from the book by Ravi Khote, a multiple-medium performance artiste.
This selection offers the best of Ray’s world — pun-riddled, fun-fiddled poetry from ‘Abol Tabol’ and ‘Khai-Khai’, stories of schoolboy pranks from ‘Pagla Dashu’ and madcap explorers ‘Heshoram Hushiyarer Diary’, and the unforgettable harum-scarum classic of ‘Haw-Jaw-Baw-Raw-Law’.
All the stories and poems are accompanied by Ray’s inimitable illustrations.
India News Channel | 29 April 2004
Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
- Saint John's strange connection to the lowly limerick cbc.ca/1.4576433 4 days ago
- Edward Lear, Venice (1865) nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2018/03/14/edw… https://t.co/ix7d0Ws5oc 1 week ago
- Edward Lear, Girgeh on the Nile (1857) nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/edw… https://t.co/AePXQG3Tnk 1 week ago