Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
Category Archives: Peter Newell
Harper’s Round Table, vol. 18, 5 November 1896, p. 24.
Harper’s Round Table, vol. 18, 15 June 1897, p. 888.
One of the most annoying aspects of Peter Newell’s production was his frequent reliance on racial stereotypes, which often becomes racism tout court; here is what Bridget R. Cooks writes in “Fixing Race: Visual Representations of African-Americans att the World’s … Continue reading
Equally individual [as Stockton’s article on A.B. Frost mentioned in the previous review] is Mr. Peter Newell, who has just published a collection of his quaintly illustrated nonsense verses, under the title of Peter Newell’s Pictures and Rhymes. The world … Continue reading
Harper’s New Monthly, August 1894, p. 486.
If I should write a sentiment, The best I could invent, ‘Twould not be worth a dime, I fear — That is — a cent, I ment. Peter Newell Peter Newell, Autograph Poem Signed, “Peter Newell,” one page, March 15, … Continue reading
Peter Newell, Autograph Note Signed and with Original Sketch within a Second Signature. 5.5 x 3.5 inches. Newell used similar signatures on the back covers of his books too. Heritage Auctions.