Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
- Edward Lear, Letter to Montgomery and Picture Letter nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/edw… https://t.co/93QxWiUVTb 16 hours ago
- Edward Lear, Monte Generoso (1878) nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2017/11/20/edw… https://t.co/LGMAArRXG0 1 day ago
- RT @BeineckeLibrary: The adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck : wherein are duly set forth the crosses, chagrins, calamities, checks, chills,… 2 days ago
Tag Archives: animals
British Library, Harley MS 624: From Edward Lear, More Nonsense Pictures, Rhymes Botany &c. (1872), “Twenty-Six Nonsense Rhymes and Pictures:” The fizzgiggious Fish, who always walked about upon Stilts, because he had no legs. Advertisements
Edward Lear, Congo Finches, Africa. Pencil sketch, heightened with watercolour, on paper. Signed, 235 x 189mm., [c.1825-30]. Bonhams.
Edward Lear: Autograph letter addressed to Mrs. Hankey, from Rendcomb Park, Cirencester, dated Sept. 1, 1872, 3pp. 8vo., written at speed in his characteristic hand, linking many of the words, concerning commissions for drawings, his movements and an account of a … Continue reading
This poem does not appear in The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense; Vivien Noakes mentioned it in a note to “The Uncareful Cow, who walked about” on p. 515, but obviously considered this sketch too rough to be published, and she was probably right, as … Continue reading
Il Sole 24 ore, 5 March 2017.
Il Sole 24 ore, 6 November 2016.
Il Sole 24 ore, 11 Decembere 2016.