Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
- Edward Lear, Civita d’Antino (1844) nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2016/12/05/edw… https://t.co/sqQOgwOuHO 1 day ago
- ‘Nonsense is a way to fight power’, says Michael Heyman indianexpress.com/article/lifest… via @IndianExpress 2 days ago
- Edward Lear in Gozo – 150 Years Later: Heritage Malta exhibition gozonews.com/65153/edward-l… via @GozoNews 3 days ago
Tag Archives: illustration
From C’è qualcuno che sa leggere? the new children’s literature supplement of the Sole 24 Ore of 20 November 2016. More on Toti Scialoja.
THE NEW PLANET (The astronomers at Hanard have observed “perturbations In the orbital movement of Neptune,” such as might be caused by the presence of a new planet in the vicinity.) I BELIEVE in the new planet. I was eleven … Continue reading
Charles Newington: “A Musical Interlude With Mr Edward Lear,” circa 2001. A folio of seventeen aquatints, each signed by the artist and inscribed in pencil: Artists Proof for Spike Milligan, the majority also titled, together with CD and other related items, … Continue reading
Harper’s Round Table, vol. 18, 5 November 1896, p. 24.
Harper’s New Monthly, August 1894, p. 486.
Peter Newell, Autograph Note Signed and with Original Sketch within a Second Signature. 5.5 x 3.5 inches. Newell used similar signatures on the back covers of his books too. Heritage Auctions.