Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- Peter Newell | Taking artistic license | Journal-Courier myjournalcourier.com/news/85361/tak… 19 hours ago
- Edward Lear, A Mountain Valley nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/edw… http://t.co/X7ueN0Xoys 1 day ago
- Not strange so blithesome I appear! I was brought up on Edward Lear nonsenselit.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/not… 5 days ago
Tag Archives: Peter Newell
One of the most annoying aspects of Peter Newell’s production was his frequent reliance on racial stereotypes, which often becomes racism tout court; here is what Bridget R. Cooks writes in “Fixing Race: Visual Representations of African-Americans att the World’s … Continue reading
Equally individual [as Stockton’s article on A.B. Frost mentioned in the previous review] is Mr. Peter Newell, who has just published a collection of his quaintly illustrated nonsense verses, under the title of Peter Newell’s Pictures and Rhymes. The world … Continue reading
Harper’s New Monthly, August 1894, p. 486.
If I should write a sentiment, The best I could invent, ‘Twould not be worth a dime, I fear — That is — a cent, I ment. Peter Newell Peter Newell, Autograph Poem Signed, “Peter Newell,” one page, March 15, … Continue reading
Peter Newell, Autograph Note Signed and with Original Sketch within a Second Signature. 5.5 x 3.5 inches. Newell used similar signatures on the back covers of his books too. Heritage Auctions.
Peter Newell, Signed Original Pencil Sketch. 3.5 x 2 inches. Heritage Auctions.
Peter Newell, A Hearty Laugh. Drawing on paper. 5 x 8 inches. Signed. Heritage Auctions.