Search this site:
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
Tag Archives: watercolours
The summer of 1870 we spent in the mountains south of Turin. … That summer was memorable to me for my first experience in hero worship. Those were the days of the table d’hôte. The guest assembled and sat together … Continue reading
Attibuted to Edward Lear, Mount Athos. Bears signature, date  and inscription, watercolour and pencil. 37.5 x 17.5cm (14 3/4 x 6 7/8in). Bonahms.
Edward Lear, Ravenna. Watercolour, signed with monogram, 11.1x18cm. Roseberys.
Edward Lear, Monte Corno, or Gran Sasso d’Italia. Watercolour, signed with mongram and titled, 16.1×25.4cm. Roseberys.
Edward Lear, Pentedattilo, Calabria. Watercolour, signed with monogram, 16.1x22cm. Roseberys.
Edward Lear, Corfu. Signed, inscribed and dated ‘Corfu/ELear./1856′ (lower right). Oil on canvas. 26.5 x 49.5cm (10 7/16 x 19 1/2in). The present lot shows a distant view of the citadel at Corfu, with the Albanian mountains beyond. Painted from a high … Continue reading
Edward Lear, View of Ohrid, Macedonia. Signed with monogram, inscribed and dated ‘Akridha 1848’ (lower right). Watercolour, bodycolour and gum arabic over pencil. 11.5 x 17.8cm (4 1/2 x 7in). Bonhams.